Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Welding Projects for the Shop



Funny how things work out. You want to build this, design that and you get backed into corners by the tools you have or the amount of space you have to work in. For years I was living in downtown San Francisco and had no true area to work on my bikes so I had to put all ideas on the back burner. Hell, even to get my oil changed was an issue. Try changing your oil on a bike on a hilly street with a cable car running by every few minutes and non stop traffic, truly a pain in the ass. I didn't have a pot to piss in, but life was good and sure as hell miss frisco.

Things are different now, living back in the south and have been building my garage out to accommodate my bike infatuation and general thrill with all things mechanical. I needed to be able to work on frames or pound out sheet metal but had to work within confines of my garage space. Its not that I have such a small space but I am trying to allot for future growth. When the time comes I need to add a drill press, metal lathe and several welders. This is a small fab table I built that is heavy but portable and quite diverse in its uses.