Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Damned Angels Featured On Sleazze Roxx

The Damned Agels are ready to conquer new territory

Check out the feature write up on Sleaze Roxx

"Crank County Daredevils singer Scotty P has returned with a new band called The Damned Angels, and has teamed up with Sleaze Roxx to preview the track "We Like It Loud".

The Tennessee based band plan on releasing a series of EPs through Rusty Knuckles Records throughout 2014, with the first six song EP slated for June -- details on the upcoming releases will be available at www.facebook.com/thedamnedangels.

"The Damned Angels came together through me and long time friend Adam Matthews," Scotty P tells Sleaze Roxx. "He is a bass player that has played in many bands through the years (Luxury Pushers and Pick Up The Snake to name a few) and we always talked about putting together something -- but until now never could find the time. During my time with Crank County Daredevils me and Adam had a punk cover band called the Beggin' Fiends that was strictly for shits 'n' giggles and free booze 'n' toot while I was home between tours. When, recently, the final 'touring' blow was handed to me via the Crank County camp I decided the time had come to try and start something new with songs that I had been working on. That's when I saw that my bud Adam had just quit Pick Up The Snake and had a band, but was auditioning singers. I went to Knoxville, TN, met up with them and laid down demos to six songs that weekend -- things went pretty fast from that. Actually, they never said I got the gig, so hopefully I'm still in!"


"We are releasing a series of EP's on Rusty Knuckles Records this year," continues the singer. "With CD sales down we wanted to offer a little more candy. So the first 6 song EP will be out in June, the second EP is gonna be an acoustic taste, and then a heavier EP to cap off the year. We currently have 26 songs we are weeding through. We are just wanting to set the stage for a full-length with the different vibes we would like to achieve. All the recordings are being done by Rory Kelly, guitarist on Crank County Daredevils' last album. I truly feel The Damned Angels are closer to the 'southern sleaze' sounds/look than Crank County -- borrowing from bands such as Hanoi Rocks, Rock City Angels, Mother Love Bone, etc. I love the Crank County Daredevils, but like I said, that monster is more cage fighter!"




Scotty P explains how The Damned Angels differ from the Crank County Daredevils, "The sounds differ by the heaviness. I feel Crank County is more of a 'metal' feel, even though I'm more influenced by punk styles. The Damned Angels songs were written and demoed acoustically first and then transferred to electric. They have more blues swagger and are 90% more personal ones I put together but never gave to Crank County because it was more of a party band. I tried to bring the intensity through my voice -- very raw, but not as screaming as Crank County."

As for the Crank County Daredevils, whose last album came out in 2009, Scotty P says the band isn't exactly dead yet. "We recorded five songs last summer and plan to just release them as singles for now. There are still talks about another album with original guitarist Adam Stevens and Rory Kelly working together, but as of now its just talk. Everyone is on good terms (finally) but time has seemed to be hard to make for each other. I truly believe that seven plus years of constant touring with no real success killed us. We lived like drug rattled gypsies out of a van for far too long -- not the first band that has, and hopefully not the last! But when we started talking about recording the conservation of touring came up and no one except me and Rory were willing to tour -- that was a deal breaker for me. And after three years of trying to beat a dead horse I decided it was time to start over. I feel at home again, I feel hungry again, I smell the diesel burning, and my ears are ringing."