Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pantera - Music That Changed My Life

Ever since I was a kid I have been drawn to music and been buying new albums relentlessly. Whether it be the classic hip hop that influenced my brother and I in the early 80's or the pounding metal riffs that now course through my veins. Its easy to go back and reminisce and see where music started to truly influence my life in one big convergence. After I got my first Nash Skateboard and I found out about Thrasher Magazine I was hooked on metal and punk rock for life. As the years went by, my tastes tended to favor the adrenaline soaked hardcore and thrash metal scenes. At the time the two didn't get along but to me they were perfect match ups and all I could think of while board sliding curbs and getting kicked out of every spot daily. Then a band outta Texas appears on the map in the late 80's early 90's and melds the two better than any of the other crossover bands at the time. They had the riffs, the slow chugging back end and a pitbull of a front man that would put them in the annals of metal history. Thank you Pantera for the crushing music and incredible live shows. So glad I got to meet everyone and shake their hands before Dime's unfortunate murder, luckily I got to see him shred on his last tour with Damage Plan a week before the end.