Friday, September 25, 2009

Dirty South - Land of Donks

Down here in the dirty south we tend to have a lot of home grown items on many fronts. My good friend Ben kept telling me about "Donks" and I was thinking what the hell are you talking about. Then, just like the infamous crocodile hunter Steve Irwin, I had my "Crikey" moment. Driving right past us was a car with an unmistakable logo painted right across its doors in an attempt to be the hip hop Nascar crossover mobile, Febreeze fabric softener had taken pole position. I laughed, basically with snot coming out of nose in such a loud laugh I thought I might even cry. To top it off there was even a Febreeze box dangling from the rear bumper. In my mind I was justifying the style to think maybe he is leaving a fresh scent everywhere he goes. After that, another "crikey" moment hit me, when a tricked out old Chevy Chevette arrived painted up in Mountain Dew theme colors and style.

The designs are crazy as hell, but I gotta say damn interesting. The only thing I can think of is that they are the hip hop offshoot of Nascar. We have so many race teams proliferating the area with sponsorships all over their vehicles, so it was only a matter of time before they made onto the streets. The only odd one for me is that they mixed Nascar with monster trucks, but that just sweetens the tea a bit more.This is why I love the south, some things don't have to make sense, you just roll with it regardless.
Hip Hop Cars