Monday, May 7, 2012

Billy Don Burns Gets A New Custom Gas Can Banjo

 "A while back I got an email from someone asking me to build them a gas can banjo. I said no. I always say no. I'm just too busy to put the kind of time it takes into building one for someone, and I've found that people are generally too hard to please to make it worth my while. Plus there's no money in it.

Anyway, this guy wrote back and said it was for a special project for Rusty Knuckles Music to promote an album being put out by a guy I'd never heard of named Billy Don Burns.

Now, having drivin' truck for 20+ years I've had all the opportunity I'll ever want to listen to the radio, and generally decided years ago that I don't really much like anything they play on the radio. But what I heard when I went to rustyknucklesmusic.com was different. It was music so cool that I wanted to be a part.

So, I'm building this gas can banjo for Billy Don Burns. I've never met him, but I can hear by the sound of his voice that I know the places he's been and his singing makes me understand....

So these are not going to be a set of "how to make a gas can banjo" videos. Instead, I'm going to make the can, without my own words, and let Billy Don's music fill in the empty spaces. I'll post the videos as I go along, probably about one a week. I'm not sure how many there will be. Enough to finish the banjo. Not sure how long it will take either. It'll be done when it's done.

Billy Don Burns new album, Nights When I'm Sober (Portrait of a Honky Tonk Singer) will be coming out on July 10th through Rusty Knuckles Music. You can get it through their store, itunes, amazon and many more, but most of all get out to see Billy Don Burns live.

The music in this video is the property of Rusty Knuckles Music and Billy Don Burns and used with their permission. Billy Don Burns new album, Nights When I'm Sober (Portrait of a Honky Tonk Singer) will be coming out on July 10th through Rusty Knuckles Music. You can get it through their store, itunes, amazon and many more, but most of all get out to see Billy Don Burns live. 

Support Real Country Music

Thanks for Listening"
 - Rpeek